Thursday, November 5, 2009

A Lesson in Happiness from Nathanial Hawthorne


It was the 2001-2002 school year--my junior (and least favorite) year of high school. I was taking honors English from Mr. Bowen, a string bean of a man with a horse's teeth and a poofy mustache. A track star named Danny sat either in front of me or behind me, often eating a small can of Vienna sausages. We were reading The Scarlet Letter.

I must admit, I accessed my fair share of SparkNotes that year. Actually, now that I think of it, the only book I remember finishing in that class was Of Mice and Men. I was such a good student. I can't remember all the books we were supposed to read, but I remember being bored out of my mind. The most dreadful book, by far, was The Scarlet Letter.

Now I'm taking Early American Literature, and I'm reading The Scarlet Letter once more. It still isn't my favorite book, but I must say it's more tolerable than I remember. I think I can appreciate it more, or at least understand it, now that I am better acquainted with the stylistic usage of language common in nineteenth century literature. High school students should really be reading something a little more action-packed. I mean, I'm nine chapters into this story and so far a woman has been publicly scorned as an adulteress, and her child is kind of weird. I did find something interesting today, however.

Reverend Dimmesdale's health is failing, and he refuses medical treatment, insisting he would rather die and leave behind the earthly woes of his sins, taking the spiritual woes to the judgement bar than to have the doctor, Roger Chillingworth, waste his skills by healing him. Chillingworth misunderstands, assuming Dimmesdale is simply eager to be reunited with his Creator. Dimmesdale corrects him, saying, "Nay....Were I worthier to walk there, I could be better content to toil here."

I found that simple, yet profound. If you are living a moral life, you are happier. Wow. Now that's deep. And while I sound sarcastic, I'm not. That's the most beautiful sentence I've read in The Scarlett Letter so far.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails