Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Where the Stupid Things are

Tonight was Two Dollar Tuesday at the Paramount, so Danielle, Cari, and I went and saw Where the Wild Things are. When I first saw the preview for this movie, I got really excited because I loved that book as a kid. Here's the trailer:




The movie opens with a nice little tune hummed by a sweet boy 
named Max, who suddenly transforms into a devil child in a wolf 
costume running through the house, yelling, growling, and tackling 
the poor dog! Later, Max stands on the table in his costume, folds 
his arms, glares down at his mother, and shouts, "Woman! Feed 
me!" Then his mom angrily chases him around the house, and once 
she catches him, he bites her on the shoulder and runs out the door, 
down the street, and through the woods. He conveniently finds a 
boat near the water's edge, and he sails away to the Wild Things' 
island. By this point, I was pretty confident this was going to be a 
weird movie. 

Call me crazy, but I expected a movie based on a children's book 
to be a little more upbeat, but it seemed like every five minutes, 
there were angry monsters or people throwing temper tantrums, 
yelling, and, in one instance, ripping the arm off a giant chicken. 
But don't worry--they replaced the arm with a stick. 

I think the weirdest part is when Max is running away from an angry
Wild Thing, and KW, the only happy Wild Thing has Max climb in her mouth, where he hides in her stomach until the angry one has left. KW and Max then have a touching conversation while Max is still in her 
stomach. Finally, KW pulls a slimy Max out of her mouth. How 
tender.

I have to admit that I laughed during some of these strange moments, but mostly I was just in shock. As we were walking out of the theater, I overheard a conversation that went something like this:

Girl 1: Oh, you saw Where the Wild Things are? Was it good?
Girl 2: I really liked the cinematography.

I think that's polite for "The movie really sucked, but I should 
probably say something good about it."

I rate this move: bizarre and depressing.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

I was discussing it with my roommate last night and we agreed that watching that movie is like experiencing all those horrible moments from your childhood over again. I felt the same way watching that movie as I did in someof those sad childhood moments. There are some things I liked about the movie (I thought the music fit well for example, but that's probably the same as saying I liked the cinematography), but not enough to see it again. And the ripping off of the chicken arm...yeah, that was a little too much.

Megan said...

Haha it was just weird!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails